2020 Driver Education Program for Newcomers
Are you interested in getting your driver’s licence? You may qualify for partial funding to complete your driver training course and get your Saskatchewan driver’s licence!
Do you have a Saskatchewan learner’s licence?
Have you had your learner’s licence for at least 5 months?
Have you practiced driving in a Saskatchewan city?
If yes, this program might be for you!
This program is open to Permanent Residents and Temporary Residents (certain conditions apply) in Saskatchewan, in the area serviced by Southeast Newcomer Services, who are required to complete a driver education program to obtain a Saskatchewan driver’s licence.
The Driver Education Program for Newcomers covers the partial cost of the 6 hours in class and 6 hours in car commercial driver education program for eligible applicants.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must hold a valid Class 7 learner’s licence (cannot be suspended, expired or owe SGI money)
- Must be a first time driver (cannot hold a driver’s licence in any other province/country)
- Must be a Saskatchewan resident residing in the area serviced by Southeast Newcomer Services
- Must be a Permanent Resident who has resided in Canada for no more than 5 years
- Or Must be a Temporary Foreign Worker on a valid work permit who has been nominated under SINP Program or submitted an application for permanent residence under one of the federal immigration programs; or who are Live-In-Caregivers on a valid work permit. A copy of the applicable immigration document must be provided as proof.
- Be able to communicate in English (if available, provide a copy of an IELTS/CELPIP test scores, LINC certificate, school transcripts if studied in English etc.)
- Priority is given to applicants determined best for the program
- Must meet with the Settlement Advisor at Southeast Newcomer Services for a needs assessment and to develop a settlement plan
- “NEW.” Accepting applications from applicants denied in past submissions
- Visitors to Canada
- Seasonal labourers
- International Students on a student permit
- Canadian citizens
- Applicants without a valid learner’s licence
- Applicants are required to fill out an application form and submit applicable supporting documentation
- Applications have to be submitted in writing either by mail, fax, email or by hand to:
Southeast Newcomer Services or to Southeast Newcomer Services
1108-6th Street 17-3rd Street NE
Estevan, SK S4A 1A8 Weyburn, SK S4H 0W1
Phone : 306-637-4920 Phone : 306-842-9081
Fax: 306-637-3826 Fax : 306-842-0205
- Weyburn Application deadline is: March 19, 2020.
- Estevan Application deadline is: March 19, 2020.
- Rural Areas Application deadline is: March 19, 2020.
- The deadline might be reopened depending on the number of intake applications
- Applicants will be notified following an interview at to whether or not they have been accepted to participate.
NOTE: In class session for Weyburn will be on Saturday, May 16, at Weyburn Public Library, and on Sunday, April 26, at the Days Inn (Evergreen Room) for Estevan. These sessions will be held at the Weyburn Public Library and Days Inn respectively. In car driving hours will follow the completion of the classroom training. For further information you may contact our office at (306) 637-4920.
- Application form, signed and dated
- Copy of your Saskatchewan Learner’s Licence
- Copy of Permanent Resident card or
- Copy of the Confirmation of Permanent Residence/ Record of Landing or
- Copy of Work Permit and SINP Nomination Letter
- Copy of your most recent CLB test or assessment (if available)
Click the following link to download application form: 2020 Driver Education Program Application Form with instructions